Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Living with kidney failure

A project to promote self-management for people living with kidney failure is being developed by researchers at the University of Hertfordshire at the Lister Hospital.

Dr David Wellsted, Head of the University’s Centre for Lifespan and Chronic Illness Research is working with Professor Ken Farrington and Maria Da Silva-Gane, based at the Lister Hospital, on a study to promote self-care among patients with kidney failure, enabling patients to take control of their own care.

The research, which received £247,164 from the National Institute for Health Research through the Research for Patient Benefit Programme, begins today (1 March 2011).

Using a well-established method known as action research, the research team will work with renal service users and staff to explore views and ways of helping people to self-manage. A variety of ways will be developed such as helping people to actively participate in treatment decisions, developing materials like leaflets and DVDs and also providing some direct educational support. During this three year study, participants’ physical and psychological well being will be compared before and after self-management has been promoted.

If patients’ physical and psychological well being show significant improvement, and if the facilitation is perceived by participants as beneficial, then there are plans to expand this programme for wider use in the NHS.

6 comments:

1. Hi.. I'm so glad to read your post.. This is one I am looking for.. Kidney is one of the most important organs in our body, And having the right solution for the problem in one’s kidney is very hard to find due to different ideas about it.

If you have time you can visit this site that I managed to surf in:
    Kidney Failure Treatment and Prescription Drugs

ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for responding. We are pleased you found the post interesting.

ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm so happy to see your blog.. This one is so great to hear.. :) Its so interesting .. I am looking forward to see more content like this.. Thank you for posting .. Keep it up!

Kidney Failure Treatment and Kidney Disease

ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment. It is good to know that you find the blog interesting. Keep reading!

ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! This Blog is one of the interesting site I've seen.. I really love this blog.. As well as it is more likely interesting against Kidney Failure

Renal Failure Treatment

ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comment. We are pleased that you find the blog interesting.

ReplyDelete