Wednesday, 29 November 2017

Things to do during the festive season around the University of Hertfordshire

Most students that attend the University of Hertfordshire are away from home when the festive season starts in November/December (or whenever it starts for you). This can lead to the feeling of being homesick. Coming from Cornwall (a 5-hour drive from Herts!) I know how it feel to miss home during the festive season. As I am in my 3rd year, I have a few tips that can help you feel more festive and less homesick at uni. 

Decorate your room

© Lucey Keast Photography
Having festive decorations up will instantly get you in the festive mood and if you put some up in communal areas in your flat, such as the kitchen, you can spread the festive cheer with flat mates 😊. If you’re on a tight budget you can get some decorations from the Pound Shop (which actually only charges 90p!) in Hatfield town centre. 

Cook a festive meal with your friends

© Lucey Keast Photography
Invite your flat mates to get together and enjoy a festive meal together in your kitchen. Whether you’re a pro-cook and want to cook a turkey or you just want to settle for chicken nuggets it will be a great way to bond. If you focus on buying ‘cheaper’ food from the supermarkets and then split the final price between everyone it can work out cheaper. Just don’t forget the crackers!

Go and look at Christmas lights

© Lucey Keast Photography
You can say close to the University by going to look at the lights in Hatfield town centre or you can go further afield by popping down to London where there are always loads of Christmas lights. If you’re anything like me, you will have childhood memories of driving around looking at lights with your family.

Visit a Christmas market

© Lucey Keast Photography
The University is holding their own Christmas market on Thursday 7 December from 14:00 - 20:00. There will be a giant snow globe that you can take photos in, food and drink stalls, craft stalls and more. The St Albans Christmas Market (which is easy to get to on the bus) is on from Saturday 25 November to Saturday 23 December in the Cathedral grounds. Not only can you get some festive food and drink from a Christmas market, (like mulled wine and mince pies!) you can also stock up on those all-important presents for family and friends.

Go and visit some deer

© Lucey Keast Photography
The University may not be having reindeer at their Christmas market this year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t see any. If you agree with reindeer at Christmas markets there are many different ones around Hertfordshire happening in November and December. Or you can visit wild deer all over Herefordshire, just make sure you give them their space as they are wild animals.

Take part in Secret Santa

© Lucey Keast Photography
Whether you do this with your friends, flat mates, or course mates, it’s a great way to get into the festive mood (as well as bagging yourself a present!). Make sure you set a maximum spent limit, after all, we are students! Secret Santa is a great way to make everyone feel included this festive season!

I hope everyone has a great festive season whilst at University and if you keep on eye on StudyNet there are always different festive events popping up. For example…
· The Active Students Roller Disco on Saturday 2 December from 17:30 - 20:30
· The University Carol Service on Wednesday 6 December at 13:15 in Prince Edward Hall
· The Gecko Christmas Party on Thursday 7 December from 19:00 - 21:00

Lucey

Hi, I’m Lucey, a member of the social street team at The University of Hertfordshire. I am a 3rd year studying BA (hons) photography. I usually live in Cornwall, so I have come a long way to the uni but I feel it’s worth it. You’ll usually find me outside, with my camera, enjoying nature. Come say hi if you see me around campus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment