Friday, 2 March 2018

My experience on a University of Hertfordshire Humanities Alumni panel as a recent graduate

When I was younger all I wanted was to be the lead in the school play. I ignored the fact that when I actually got near the stage; I got unbearably nervous because I was fully focused on my desire to be a STAR. As I got older this feeling just transformed into outright fear. However, this is something I have worked on conquering. Despite, some bumps and hurdles my ability to give presentations in class completely transformed through University, and I am pleased to say that my new role as Media and PR Coordinator at the University of Hertfordshire has increased that confidence tenfold.

Therefore, when I was asked to participate in a conference for Humanities students focusing on employability I accepted without hesitation. It was only 10 minutes later that I realised, ‘Oh no, what have I done?’.

The conference begin with a speech from Dean Jeremy Ridgman – he discussed how Humanities graduates at the University of Hertfordshire leave to do a wide variety of things, as well as that the employability rate for Humanities graduates is high - 95.8%.

Considering the Humanities is often seen as a degree path with a less clear route to employability- the fact that 95.8 % graduates are in employment is extraordinary and a testament to the University and its graduates.

After Dean Jeremy Ridgman’s speech, Punteha van Terheyden then gave the keynote speech. I hope one day I can be as inspiring as she was. She discussed honestly the hard work that went into her getting the position she dreamed of – Commissioning Editor at Take a Break, the UK’s most popular true life stories magazine.

I was especially inspired by how she refused to give up, even when told no. She told the audience how she went to a job interview and was told she didn’t get the job but then told the Editor she wasn’t giving up and would work weekends instead (while still doing a full time position during the week). She also talked about something that is often overlooked, the importance of a good, ‘can-do’ attitude – you can always train someone up in a job but if you don’t have the right attitude going in; you’ll soon find that person won’t progress.

Next came the Alumni panel session. Despite, having a brief bit where I felt a bit dizzy (though I think wearing a cardigan on top of a jumper was partly to blame for that); I along with the rest of the Alumni group made it to the stage. I am pleased to say that as far as I’m aware I didn’t say anything ridiculous, despite being in awe of all the great answers coming from my fellow panel members.

My fellow panel members included:

My colleague Jerome Price, who is Community Manager here at the University of Hertfordshire and helps to develop and deliver the University’s social media strategy, manage the central social media channels and increase engagement with stakeholders online.

David Houssein, Communities Strategic Development Manager for the Institution of Engineering and Technology, who has overall responsibility for the development of the IET’s portfolio of over 20 professional and technical networks, over 100 local network and six governance boards.

Magid El-Amin, Support Insight Analyst for The Children's Society, whose role involves helping senior leaders make key decisions based on actionable insight. Having accumulated expereince in front line fundraising he also has experience working with donors from all levels, including community groups, high net-worth individuals and corporates. 

Punteta van Terheyden also joined us on the panel. 

During the panel we took questions from staff and students from how we got started in our careers to how to deal with a particular issue in the workplace. Something, that really shined through from all the panel members answers is how unique Humanities graduates are in regards to the fields they then go into. As well as the importance of trying new things and gaining as much experience as possible – it not only looks great for your CV but it will be paramount in helping you decide what field you actually want to go into!

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the panel went well as I overheard a few different students say that they really enjoyed the Alumni panel, and had students approach me afterwards to ask questions about to go about approaching companies for work experience.

That proactive approach to life after University is probably the number one thing I can recommend, you will graduate with valuable skills from your degree, and hopefully some volunteering and work experience too – don’t be afraid to sell those skills to people. Don’t underestimate yourself, be proactive and keep positive (even when it’s hard) and you’ll be able to find your path to your dream job.

If you’re interested in Volunteering at the University of Hertfordshire, look at the Hertfordshire Students’ Union for information about volunteering: https://hertfordshire.su/your-opportunities/volunteering/

One thing I’d personally really recommend is to join a society, Hertfordshire Students’ Union has over 100 to join and running a society looks amazing on your CV: https://hertfordshire.su/your-opportunities/societies/

If you’re looking to help raise money for some great projects, RAG (Raise and Give) is a great initiative to join: https://hertfordshire.su/your-opportunities/rag/

For anyone interested in media and journalism I would definitely suggest you join Trident Media: https://hertfordshire.su/your-opportunities/studentmedia/ 

I was a member of Trident Media for most of my time at University (and at one point TV Director) and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there – it is a great way to see what parts of media you love working in (be that print, TV or radio) and try out different elements of each type of media too. For example, you might go in thinking you want to write only features but discover a passion for writing news. 

Career Hub also offer lots of different work placement opportunities as well as graduate roles so make sure to include them in your search.

Lastly, take some time and update your LinkedIn profile – I’d also suggest adding a link to your profile on your CV - it shows employers you’ve really taken the time to cultivate what your experience and skills are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment