Thursday, 11 April 2019

Top tips for revising and improving assignments through Studynet

It’s that time of year when revising for exams and writing your assignments is a priority. With this in mind, here are 5 top tips on how to make the most out of Studynet during this critical time. 

1. Did you know that you can search and access past exam papers?

If you have exams that are coming up, you can check to see if the past exam papers are available, and if they are, you are able to access them from the university’s online library. Searching for them is really easy and you can use them as a revision tool. The video below takes you through the steps on how you can access them:

2. Check your reading lists:

Your reading list may have been introduced to you at the start of the module. If you haven’t looked at this for a while, then it might be a good time to look over which resources your tutor has suggested as a starting point before revising or doing your assignment. Check the video below on how to subject search on the online library: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEEPzN4sghs

3. Access your previous feedback:

As recent alumni from this university, I will be the first to put my hands up and say that I did not always read my assignment feedback properly. Yes, I may have had a quick scan through it, however, I know I should have looked at it more carefully. With hindsight, if I had read through my feedback, I could have learnt lessons much earlier and achieved higher. 

If you read your feedback carefully over a few different assignments, you will probably notice some common themes. For example, you might be struggling with referencing. If you can pick up on these areas for improvement before the next assignment, you will be able to make changes and progress. It’s worth taking a little time now to find out what you can improve upon and address them, before you start your next assignment. 
Below is a video on how to access your feedback:

If referencing is an area of improvement, then read on for our next tip!

4. Use the library cite tool:

If you are using resources from the online library, did you know that it has a cite tool? This will give you the option to choose a referencing style and give you the citation. You can then copy and paste this citation into your list of references. However, you may need to edit the reference according to your school’s referencing style guide. But it’s a great starting point and does most of the hard work for you. See the video below on how to use this tool:

5. Check through earlier units on your module site:

And lastly, this might sound obvious, however, it might be worth going through the earlier units on your module site. Your tutor may have added new material since you last looked at them. You may also find useful materials and resources to revise from or that will help you with your assignment. 

Remember, there are lots of resources and people out there to help you through your study and revision period. If you want to talk to someone for any additional help, get in contact with your tutor or look at out for drop in sessions in the LRCs.

Lucy Bamwo and Samantha Clarkson
Studynet Training Coordinators

No comments:

Post a Comment