If you’ve been away for a while, or even just away for summer, you may notice a few changes since you were last here. There have been a number of updates recently on campus, from new buildings to new food. Make sure you’re aware of these changes and how they may affect or improve your experience with us.
Business and Social Hub
Since the start of the calendar year, we’ve been constructing a new building on de Havilland campus called the “Business and Social Hub”. The aim of the building is to create a three-storey building that will provide learning, social and business facilities at the heart of the University’s de Havilland campus.
A fly-through video of the new building is available to view here. Facilities will include:
- A ground floor social space with both formal and informal areas to encourage collaboration and communication between students, staff and the business community.
- A first floor with a dedicated Business incubation focus, delivering a facility designed to support business start-ups and graduate entrepreneurs.
- A new teaching space for students, including Degree Apprentices and MBA students.
The building will be located between the street and accommodation. The construction of the new building is on schedule to be completed in 2020. Check out the latest photos on the building.
New catering on campus
The University has recently formed a new catering partnership with Aramark. Aramark have been changing up the catering on campus quite drastically.
You may have seen on campus already, they have already refurbished the campus shop on College Lane, while refurbishments for the de Havilland campus shop are ongoing. The shop has been refurbished into a Premier shop, it stocks a wide range of food, drinks and other affordable day to day essentials such as household items and stationery.
In addition, you can find:
- Ready to eat, hot and cold snacks such as Chicago Town pizza, hot dogs and savoury slices
- The Cool Desserts Co. selling milkshakes, freshly made waffles, ice creams and Tango Ice Blasts
- Starbucks Grab and Go coffees
Along with this, they have also introduced some new additions to the campus restaurants, to provide more variety and quality into the meals that you eat. Here’s a list of the different options available to you:
- Start the day on a high note with our selection of freshly cooked traditional breakfast items, choice of cereals, porridge and yoghurt pots.
- At lunchtime, choose from our Home Favourite counter offering traditional comfort food, to Peel and Loaf where you can select from an array of fresh ingredients to make your perfect sandwich, just as you like it.
- Try our live station, featuring Gustoso fresh pizza and pasta, cooked before your eyes.
- The 'Street Food' counter offers a premium range of international local treats, changing daily.
- Tandoori Club offers a variety of Indian flavours for a wrap with a twist.
- Joe de Frango offers a freshly cooked range of rotisserie chicken, with a choice of seasonings and side items.
- In addition to all these options is our salad bar, with a daily selection made from the freshest ingredients
TV screens around campus
Excitingly, we will be upgrading the TV screens around campus. Our old software restricted us from doing a lot of what we wanted to do, for example playing videos.
Some of the improvements include:
- Much wider range of content formats, including videos
- Greatly improved reliability of the TV screens
- New showcase triple screen in College Lane reception
- Better targeting of content to specific screens or group of screens
Overall, this means we can make the screens more exciting and relevant to you, so make sure you always check out what’s on when walking past one.
We are still working on designs and how we will lay out the screens, but we are excited to be introducing this to you and sharing screens and videos that we could not previously share with you.
July 2019 saw the successful completion of the University’s £2million WiFi improvement project. Over 3,500 high-capacity Access Points (APs) have been installed across the entire UH estate and the infrastructure is now in place so that everyone can enjoy a better WiFi service on campus. See WiFi winners!
Remember, Wireless Warriors will help you get connected to eduroam. Look out for them at the start of term. eduroam is the best choice for you and saves you time by logging in automatically whenever you are on campus. It’s now easier to get set up – see Wireless connections /WiFi set-up
£5 print credit for all students
New for 2019-20! Every UH student will receive £5 credit in their online print and copy account. Previously the University has given a £5 print credit to new students. This year, following feedback and discussion with the Students’ Union, this credit is being extended to both new and all returning students once they have completed registration.
Find out more about printing on campus
HertsMobile app improvements
The Herts Mobile app is installed on over 25,000 devices and is a really popular tool for anyone at UH (search for “Herts Mobile" in your app store). Improvements for 2019 include:
- opening and using the app will feel much faster
- new look and feel that now supports both mobile and tablet devices
- updated map locations and routing
- new library updates and reminder notifications
More lecture recordings and refurbished teaching rooms
Automatic recordings of timetabled lectures are now taking place in over 60 specially-equipped classrooms. This project will continue in 2019 including the addition of recording lights in class. Find out more about Recording of teaching and learning sessions.
We’ve also installed new furniture and audio-visual equipment in a number of rooms across the FMM, Main and Wright buildings.
Say hello to LinkedIn Learning – the Lynda.com e-learning tool has moved to LinkedIn Learning providing all the same great Lynda content with a new look and feel and lots of exciting personalisation features. Find out more about LinkedIn Learning and how to get the most out of this great resource.