International Women's Day: Meet Megan

Working in the University’s Careers and Employment Team, Megan is one of the leaders of the University’s Sprint women development programme.

How did you come to work at the University of Hertfordshire?

I joined the University in January 2019 as a Careers Adviser in the Careers and Employment Service. I completed qualifications in Advice and Guidance, and Education and Training, to be equipped for the role, but ultimately I really enjoy meeting people and offering help where they want it. My favourite part of my role is delivering interactive workshops, in particular the Sprint Women’s Development Programme, but I honestly do not get bored of reviewing CVs and Cover Letters!

What is your greatest achievement? This can be personal or related to your professional career.

I try to value the journey of life rather than measuring it by the ‘big achievements’. Getting a degree, living independently, getting through break-ups, buying my first car, helping others through my job, learning a new sport, maintaining old friendships since school etc. are all the products of my growth and development over the years and that’s what I am most proud of.

Are there any women in your life who have been a role model? If yes who and why? This could be a member of your family, a friend or colleague or someone in the public eye.

Playing sport and keeping fit is one of my hobbies and so I’ll pick from the many inspiring sports women in the world right now. Casey Stoney is the former England Ladies football captain and she played 130 times for England (that’s more than David Beckham), growing up at a time when there was only boys football teams to play for. Then in 2014 she was the first active England player to come out as gay, and I think that courage to speak up and help tackle stigma is inspiring.  There’s a fantastic book called ‘The Female Lead: Women Who Shape Our World’ which is full of female role models and we have a copy available to look through in the Careers Service!

Tell us more about the sprint development programme and why it is such a powerful scheme for our students.

One of the many reasons that Sprint really works for our students is the 4 days of dedicated time and space to pause and reflect, before term starts.  The programme takes a holistic approach addressing both personal and professional (work/study) life which helps students to balance what is important to them, and be their authentic selves throughout, which we know is essential for good mental health and happiness.

Comments

Popular Posts