Meet this year's student of the year, Amro Bakkar

On Thursday 25 June, we announced that Amro has won our student of the year award in our annual Vice-Chancellor's Award’s. Congratulations Amro! 

The award recognises a student who exemplifies the University’s graduate attributes, demonstrating truly exceptional qualities, both personally and academically. 

We caught up with final year, Journalism and Media student, Amro to find out how he felt after his win.... 

How did you feel when you found out you were a finalist? 

Initially, it was Wednesday when the Dean of the School of Humanities Anne Murphy emailed with my nomination to be one of the finalists for the Vice Chancellor’s Award ‘Student of the Year’ category. I finished work at 9:00pm at McDonald’s after a long day of work feeding the nation in this national crisis. I went through all my emails and learnt that I was nominated by the School of Humanities for this fantastic award. So I thought for a minute then I said: as the University of Hertfordshire made it special for me when I started my course, they now want to make even more unique upon my final days at the university and recognise my hard work and adaptability. 

What does being a VCA winner mean to you? 

First, it is a sign or an indication for me to realise that I am capable of paying back for the United Kingdom; the country which has hosted and accepted me on its land. Personally, it means that every hard work and effort are recognised at the University of Hertfordshire, whatever where you came from. Also, it implies the wide horizon in front of me… it has given me the momentum needed to thrive in what I am doing. 

What has been your experience of being a Herts student? What are the people like? What is the culture like? 

I can say that Herts’ environment is a combination of fun, respect, love, hard work, and professionalism which all lead to ideal outcome and successful students. I have never met as kind, professional, and motivational staff and fellow students as the people of Herts… lovely folks. 

What’s the best thing about being a student at the University?  

Definitely, the best thing about being student at Herts is approachable tutors and staff and their will to help when you need them. I was able to meet people who work in journalism and add them to my network. Also, I significantly developed my English language and communications skills which are invaluable for me. 

What’s your proudest achievement while you have been at the University of Hertfordshire? 

I made a lot of remarkable achievements throughout my time at the university. Firstly, my coverage of the Media Matters Talks 2019-2020 with two of my friends at the university. Moreover, I wrote some news stories that I am very proud of, because it happened that I interviewed some important people from overseas. And finally, I will graduate with First Class Honours and I have been here in the UK for only 4 years.  

What are your ambitions after you graduate? 

My ambition is to be a political editor in the World-Leading newsroom, which is the BBC, and be part of this entity that is feeding the world with news and content.  

What makes you feel proud to be a part of the University?
Because I will be leaving my mark at the university. Hopefully students who come after me will know that whatever you went through and what you might confront in the future from difficulties and challenges, are simply just factors and reasons to keep you going towards achieving your goal.  

To view our other student of the year finalists, visit the VCA webpage.

Comments